Monday 27 April 2009

Bangladesh

It's getting closer and closer. A week today I will be in Bangladesh; Dhaka to be precise. Over the next 6 days I am going to be getting more and more stressed and more and more anxious. I have been reading some of the internal reports on Bangladesh, interviews with people who survived the cyclone that hit in 2007 - Sidr. It caused country-wide damage and ripped apart homes both psychologically and materially. Hearing stories of people with nothing but a sheet of thin metal over their heads, no fishing nets to feed their family with.

People can see the tides are rising but mention Climate Change out there and you would get a blank face. They don't know what it is, they haven't caused it. People liken Bangladesh to India, but they've never set foot in either. India is developing all the time, Bangladesh is not, well, not as fast anyway. Micro-credit is enabling people to buy things to live, but the number of loans they are paying off means they probably will not know a life without paying them. It's sad but, many believe, a necessary evil.

I'm moaning and stressing because I haven't done certain things for the trip; silly things like take photos of my house and family. I don't think I could bare to pass them over to a Bangladeshi person...'why are you showing me this?'

No comments:

Post a Comment