Friday 13 March 2009

The Land Where I belong Part 4

I'm staying in Morley right now, Morley, Leeds.

It's a bit weird here as it reminds me so much of my hometown, Ilkeston. With a plethora of charity shops and empty windows, as I walked up the main high street I could have closed my eyes and thought I was back on Bath Street. Morley has an almost flat vista however and Ilson does not.

The people here are old, gristly and set in. But they are kind, forgiving, cute, they don't offend like Londoners. If you hold the door for them they thank you for it, with a smile too.

The old ladies and gents are true characters.. They all look like loving grandparents that comfort their grandchildren with mint humbugs and sunday dinners. Not like in London, where every other person is a drunkerd or a druggie. Not saying that isnt a problem up here; it is, and i've seen it outside of windows, behind shops, near bins, but up here it's sort of not as bad.

The people here know each other. Not always a good thing but at least the community spirit is one unbettered elsewhere. It means there is always a friend nearby. Lovely.

So, off to the pub, with BNP sympathies. I'm not foreign though, I feel at home here, so I reckon i'll be alright. As long as they don't think i'm from London. Us midlanders can never please. London folk think we're from up neweth, Leeds people think we're from dahn safth.

No comments:

Post a Comment