Tuesday 19 May 2009

In Khulna

Tuesday, our second day in Bangladesh. We flew from Dhaka Domestic to Jessore. A small flight in an even smaller plane, but we passed over the mighty Padma river, which turns into the Ganges when you get into India.

A few hours later and i'm sitting, with fans blowing furiously in our room, a mosquito net trapping most of the cool wind and leaving me with heat and sweat and humidity.
Our bathroom doesn't work. There is a urinal with a leak in it, the shower is on but no water comes out. I washed myself with a potty jug, pleading with the tap to let me have some water. It wreaks too, of egg. Best just washing, don't smell it. I couldn't write my diary that night. The pen scrawls are reminscent of the huge spider that got its muddy leg prints all over the bathroom floor in the morning. I lay awake for most of the night, starkers, insect repellant in between my toes.

There are these little sandy coloured lizards running up the sky blue walls. They frighten me a bit...."what about the fucking cockraoches and rats" i think. The compound here is a lot more rural, and birds that sound like they're having it off squark around us. It's magical but i'm too hot and tired to appreciate it. Only when I get back to rainy grey Ilkeston can I appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment